Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Roasting Chesnuts

I can remember chestnut trees when growing up in Pennsylvania. They had a prickly outer shell that I liked to squash. I never picked them for cooking as I would now. Florida is not a chestnut producing area, so I am forced to buy them in the store at this time of year.

They are highly perishable...which I just learned after roasting a bad batch. So store them in the fridge until use.

To roast in the oven at 350', you must cut a x into the flat side of each. This let's steam escape so you don't have popping nuts in your oven. Roast for about 20 minutes...turning halfway through. You will see the x's curling up at the edges.

They will be smokin' hot so be careful not to burn yourself when peeling. We eat them plain,
but someone suggested dipping them in butter....which sounds utterly delicious because butter makes everything delicious! BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments:

Post a Comment