Saturday, August 8, 2009

Tree Saver


I love technology. Not only do I love technology I love the thought of saving trees. I embraced both in December when I bought my lovely Kindle. What's a Kindle you may ask? It's a wonderful device that let's you read your books on it. I was skeptical at first. I love books. I love the smell of books and bookstores. I love the feel of paper. But as I sat one day looking at the tons of books that clutter my house I knew there had to be a better way. I don't have room for all of this accumulation, not to mention the hundreds of books that died for my entertainment. That's when I found the Kindle...or it found me while surfing on Amazon. I read review after review on the device before taking the plunge. I was worried about plunking down over $300.00 for something I may hate...I hate reading on the computer. But people seemed to love it...saying that you felt like you were reading a book due to e-ink technology. So I had to do it. The geek and environmentalist in my took over. It arrived at Christmas in cute packaging. I plugged it in, downloaded a few books and instantly feel in love..again. I can't tell the difference when reading. In fact, it's easier, especially while lying in bed. I carry ALL my books with me...1500 of them...and the best part is the FREE SAMPLES. I'm addicted. I'm a sample addict. I get to read 3 chapters from any book that tickles my fancy before swiping my debit card. Oh yes, truly smitten. So smitten that I plopped down another $359.00 when the new one was realized not to long ago. Gave the other one to my daughter. I finally go the biggest reader in the house on board (my youngest daughter). Her books are like a plague that fills her room. Overflowing. Made her read a book on the Kindle and she likes it! May be another baby addition to our Kindle family.

My Kindle is named Winny, Winiford to be exact. I used to go to bed with a book every night. Sam used to laugh and say that I was like Winiford on Hocus Pocus (love that movie) that used to call her Book of Shadows "Oh boooooooook". So the name stuck. Now the Kindle is $299.00!

1 comment:

  1. I had actually thought about buying one of these but I don't have time to read any more...I guess I'll wait until Emerson is a little older and try then!

    ReplyDelete