Sunday, August 16, 2009

Kombucha


I try to buy organic produce and food.  I wish it weren't so darn expensive to eat healthy.  One of friends at work has an earthy daughter that farms and sells her wares.  I buy them greedily when I can.  She sells a drink called Kombucha.  I saw it last time.  Interrogated her on the stuff I saw being carried out.  You take mason jars and she fills them with Kombucha, which looks like tea.  I did some research and it was very interesting.  Kombucha is a fermented sugary tea that is made with the Kombucha mushroom.  Actually it really isn't a "mushroom", it's  a symbiotic, probiotic colony of yeast and bacteria (the friendly type).  It reproduces itself and will continue to make batch after batch from one starter.  It actually  looks kinda gross.  The starter is added to the tea and let to ferment for 7-10 days.  The tea when finished contains dozens of elements, that  promote healing for a variety of conditions, such as:
  • Acts as a gentle laxative, helping avoid constipation.
  • Aids in the relief of arthritis.
  • Cleanses the colon and gall bladder.
  • Aids in healthy digestion
  • Relieves colitis and stomach cramps.
  • Returns gray hair to it's natural color.
  • Helps stop non-infectious diarrhea.
  • Relieves bronchitis and asthma.
  • Clears up Candida yeast infections.
  • Regulates the appetite and reduces fat.
  • Aids with stress and insomnia.
  • Improves eyesight, cataracts and floaters.
  • Relieves headaches including migraines.
  • Puts Lupus into remission.
  • Helps reduces the alcoholic's craving for alcohol.
  • Eliminates menopausal hot flashes.
  • Clears acne, psoriasis and other skin problems.
  • Thickens hair and strengthens fingernails.
  • Enhances the sense of smell.
  • Vitalizes the physical body and adds energy-including sexual energy!
 Supposed to taste like a wine/cider mix.  I'm not to sure about home brew from someone I don't know, but I did find it at Wards supermarket in the dairy department.  Will pick some up on my next weekly visit.  God I love that store!

No comments:

Post a Comment