Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spring Cleaning

My beehives kind of took the back burner for awhile when I wasn't feeling good and worried about other things.  Abby and I went out and did complete hive check ups a few days ago.  We added 2 new supers to two of the hives.....the one that was supposed to get the super was queenless!  Ughhh!  We took a frame of brood from my hive and placed it into the queenless hive, in hopes they will rear a queen on their own.  There are still bees flying into the hive, but it looks pitiful in comparison to the others. I may have to order a new queen.  I will open it up in a few weeks and monitor the activity.

We painted the new supers so they can better distinguish their hives.  My hive is thriving!  The queen is obviously still going strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment